Poldertoren

Recognisable from afar, the multifunctional "Poldertoren" is a prominent 'beacon' that can be regarded as the heart of Emmeloord and the Noordoostpolder.

Recognisable from afar, the multifunctional "Poldertoren" is a prominent 'beacon' that can be regarded as the heart of Emmeloord and the Noordoostpolder. This symbol of the unity of the polder and victory over the water was built according to the winning design in a competition that was held by the Waterleiding Mij. Overijssel N.V. in Zwolle in 1950.

The original design of the tower, dating from 1951, was made by the Amsterdam architect, H. van Gent. The design reflecting the 'Utilis' motto was considered preferable to the designs of the remaining competitors, the architect and town and country planner, M.F. Duintjer (motto 'Rode Toren’ (Red Tower)) and the architectural duo, H. Mieras and B. van Kasteel (motto 'Uilenspiegel'). Van Gent's idea served as a basis for the final design, dating from 1954 and carried out by H. Fokkens in 1958-1959, which he produced in collaboration with J.W.H.C. Pot.

The tower has the stylistic characteristics of sober, brick-built architecture related to the Delft School. The 65.3-metre high Poldertoren acquired three functions - WATER TOWER, CARILLON TOWER and WATCHTOWER. Furthermore, the tower has an observation platform and a carillon consisting of 48 bells, one of which also functions as a swinging bell. The bells were cast by Klokkengieterij B. Eijs-bouts N.V. in Asten. The pinnacle of the tower consists of a gilded copper weathervane in the form of a "koggeschip" (traditional cargo boat).

Practical Information

Accommodation
Type of building Water tower

De Deel Model.NdtrcItem.HouseNumber
8302 EK, Emmeloord